8:25 AM

On Cerelac(R)(TM)

I feel a slight tinge of embarassment as I write this.
The whole of last week I was plagued with an intestinal infection that kept me away from work and made life in general miserable for me. My diet was restricted to bland food; any experiments with the more spicy foods resulted in a bad case of diarrhoea.
I thought I had managed well when all of a sudden a state wide hartal(non-Keralites: this is general term for a full fledged strike when every damned business puts down shutters and life comes to a total standstill).
Normally I would have been at my company office on such a day and it would have been business as usual. The office environs allow for meals, morning, night or day, hartal or no hartal.
Unfortunately I was holed up in my bachelors quarters far away from office when this particular hartal played out.
I had arranged for cigarettes the previous night, betting that the good old Anand Hotel would be open next day even if there was a bandh as they normally do(under police protection of course).
But my luck ran out. The hartal had been called by the party in power in the state, and that meant it was severe than usual.
I got up morning to find that even Hotel Anand had not dared to open up.
Now, I had these courses of strong antibotics to take, three times a day for my stomach agonies. Normally I can go without food for an entire day without getting any more tired or fatigued.
But that day before I took those damned antibiotics I had to get something into my stomach: I knew that, otherwise there would be serious trouble.
I went out, did some investigating and found that not even a tea shop had opened. The only shops that were open were medical shops. It seems the strike organizers at least had some pity for the sick.
I browsed through the contents of one such medical shop searching for something edible. They had cornflakes. I thought I could give that a shot. But when I asked for condensed milk to go with it, they said they didn't have any in stock.
That was when I noticed Cerelac (R) (TM) for infants 12 to 24 months. The blurb said this was stage 3 baby food and included vegetable extracts- "to encourage the child to chew". I decided to go for it, especially when the label read that it already contained powdered milk.
So anyways, I was passing a lot of baby like poo for the past few days, so I thought some more of it would do no harm.
I bought one for a hefty price, wondering how could neo mothers spend so much on baby food. :-)
Took it to my room, mixed it with sterilized water till it was thick and gooey(no, I could not arrange for any lukewarm water as the instructions demanded).
And the only thing that came to my mind as I consumed it was whether any of those doting mothers who so dutifully fed this stuff to their kids had ever tried tasting it!
Jeez, what things life makes you go through!

4 HITCHHIKERS:

Mojo Jojo said...

Ha ha! This was seriously funny! I have seen survival movies where people end up eating any damn thing to see the sun the next day, but eating cerelac to stay alive because of a Kerala hartal!?! Har de har har.
But don't the medical shops in Kerala stock up on chocolate bars and biscuits like the ones in Bangalore? Well, I guess namma Bangalore rates better in some ways :D

CuppajavaMattiz said...

Grin and bear it they say :-|

Deepa said...

You know what?? you should have tried plain cerelac wheat! (6-8 months)It tastes like a bengali sweet dish!!! I used to love licking all the leftovers from my daughter's bowl. Any store bought baby food that involves veggies or rice is undoubtedly bland and tasteless!!!

Here's a tip. If you want to put on weight in a short time, try finishing one tin of cerelac in a week. You'll gain 3kg!! (This doesn't happen to babies though!)

CuppajavaMattiz said...

Wonderful feedback, Scatterbrain. Gotta try this again sometime. :-)

munnar